Sunday, September 15, 2013

Board Candidate: Nancy Koppelman

Hot off the press: previews of our 2013 candidates for the Board of Directors! You'll also find the information below in the October-November newsletter, along with your ballot. Voting runs from October 15th - November 15th. In addition to choosing four new Board members, you'll also have an opportunity to vote on four proposed changes to the Co-op's bylaws.

Want to know more about the candidates? Mark your calendar for the Annual Meeting! October 27th, from 1-4 pm at the Olympia Ballroom. Great food, candidate speeches and the first round of member discussion on recent research into whether the Co-op should change our legal status (currently, we are a not-for-profit under RCW 24.03.) We look forward to seeing you there!


* * *

Board Candidate: Nancy Koppleman

Why do you want to be on the Co-op Board of Directors?

I’m interested in helping the co-op continue to serve the greater Olympia community, and particularly to face the task of maintaining both its ideals and, as with all businesses, its need to grow:  a real challenge.

 What general abilities would you bring to the Board?  What specific abilities and experiences would you offer to help provide direction in dealing with the Co-op’s challenges?

I’ve been a member of the co-op for 30 years.  I’ve been a working member and, in the early 1990s, a member of the Board when it voted to open a store on the east side of town.  For the last 17 years, I have been a faculty member at Evergreen, where I’m regularly active in significant governance work.  For the last 18 months, I’ve helped to organize over 150 of the college’s faculty to implement an important new academic initiative.  I genuinely enjoy working closely with people, and simultaneously I am able to keep “the big picture” in mind.  I like to foster committed and thoughtful work with others, and I like to help people maintain a sense of common purpose, especially when conflicts inevitably arise. 

     What do you see as current strengths of the Co-op that you would like to see maintained?  What would you like to see changed?

The co-op’s long-standing commitment to the well-being of the staff is one of its greatest strengths.  It should be maintained and, I hope, enhanced.  In terms of change, I would like to learn what the membership wants from its co-op, and I’m interested in ensuring that the co-op regularly revisit and thoughtfully consider its mission, and measure its practices against that mission. 

    What vision do you have for the Co-op for the next five years?


I know that there have been discussions for some time about opening a downtown store.  I think this is a laudable vision and I’m interested in how the co-op is pursuing it.  I’m also interested in discussing diversifying the co-op’s merchandise to include a wider array of fair-trade items, possibly including alcoholic beverages.  Finally, ongoing education about how the co-op puts its philosophy into practice will ensure that its members continue to be informed and involved.