Sunday, September 15, 2013

Board Candidate: Casey Kilduff

Hot off the press: previews of our 2013 candidates for the Board of Directors! You'll also find the information below in the October-November newsletter, along with your ballot. Voting runs from October 15th - November 15th. In addition to choosing four new Board members, you'll also have an opportunity to vote on four proposed changes to the Co-op's bylaws.

Want to know more about the candidates? Mark your calendar for the Annual Meeting! October 27th, from 1-4 pm at the Olympia Ballroom. Great food, candidate speeches and the first round of member discussion on recent research into whether the Co-op should change our legal status (currently, we are a not-for-profit under RCW 24.03.) We look forward to seeing you there!


* * *

Board Candidate: Casey Kilduff

Why do you want to be on the Co-op Board of Directors?

I am interested in joining the co-op board of directors because I enjoy the challenge of collaborating with diverse groups of people while seeking the greater good for the larger community. I recently graduated from the Masters of Public Administration program at Evergreen and have found that I have a lot of free time. I would like to fill my free time with meaningful work. Joining the Olympia Food Co-op’s board of directors would utilize my existing skill set and afford me the opportunity to build new skills. I believe that I have a lot to offer the cooperative and would be proud to be elected.

What general abilities would you bring to the Board? What specific abilities and experiences would you offer to help provide direction in dealing with the Co-op’s challenges?

From 2008 to 2013 I served on the board of directors of a worker-owner cooperative in Olympia, WA. Prior to that, I have served on the boards of various local non-profit organizations. I am skilled in mediation, collaboration, and strategic planning. I attended the Western Worker’s Cooperative Conference in 2011 and acquired cooperative specific skills in meeting facilitation, developing a strategic plan, conflict resolution and anti-oppression. I spoke on a panel at the 2012 Co-op conference held at TESC and have spoken in classes at TESC about the value of the cooperative model. Additionally, I have experience interviewing, hiring, supervising and terminating staff. I strongly believe in the cooperative model and would like to help to ensure the success of the Olympia Food Co-op. 

What do you see as current strengths of the Co-op that you would like to see maintained? What would you like to see changed?

I see the co-op as a staple in the Olympia community. Having access to local and ethically produced products is important for the health of our community. Over the years, the co-op has diversified by developing educational opportunities, outreach and collaboration with other cooperatives. I believe that these are strengths of our co-op. I think that improving member engagement is something that all cooperatives can improve on and would like to be involved in activating our membership.

What vision do you have for the Co-op for the next five years?

My vision is that we will utilize the strengths of the members and board to determine what is best for the co-op in the years to come.