Sunday, September 15, 2013

Board Candidate: Isabella Rogol


Hot off the press: previews of our 2013 candidates for the Board of Directors! You'll also find the information below in the October-November newsletter, along with your ballot. Voting runs from October 15th - November 15th. In addition to choosing four new Board members, you'll also have an opportunity to vote on four proposed changes to the Co-op's bylaws.

Want to know more about the candidates? Mark your calendar for the Annual Meeting! October 27th, from 1-4 pm at the Olympia Ballroom. Great food, candidate speeches and the first round of member discussion on recent research into whether the Co-op should change our legal status (currently, we are a not-for-profit under RCW 24.03.) We look forward to seeing you there!


* * *

Board Candidate: Isabella Rogol

Why do you want to be on the Co-op Board of Directors?

I was appointed to the Olympia Food Co-op Board of Directors in April of this year to fill a vacancy. I have been already participating in the decision making and shaping of the Co-op and know of the challenges involved as well as the satisfaction to know that I am doing something not just for my own sake but in representation of the members of this Coop. I feel honored by such unique experience. I would appreciate your support to continue this journey.

What general abilities would you bring to the Board? What specific abilities and experiences would you offer to help provide direction in dealing with the Co-op’s challenges?

The ability to sit through very interesting meetings that honestly sometimes can be frustrating and/or boring and try to come to a consensus decision as a group about issues that pertain to us all. I am a professional language translator (English-Spanish) and small-business owner. I lived in a few countries before moving to Olympia, so I consider myself a multicultural and have insight into complicated human relations. I like to work with all kinds of individuals even those that may have a different opinion than mine. I am approachable.

What do you see as current strengths of the Co-op that you would like to see maintained? What would you like to see changed?

The Co-op it is a real community center, most of the time people are very welcoming and food is great! There is no reason to change that. The Co-op is good at keeping us updated through the newsletter and I personally appreciate the Co-op parties. The board has done outreach to the community twice this year in the form of a free lemonade stand. I was part of that and learned a lot from the experience. I believe that we have maxed out the capacity of both Co-ops. Other members that gave their comments also believe that. I would not like the Co-op to expand so much that it becomes a mainstream grocery store but I would like the Co-op to be able to accommodate more people more comfortably. As part of the expansion committee I hope to continue working toward that.

What vision do you have for the Co-op for the next five years?

I would love to see it grow toward greater sustainability by making available more local products
and work on issues of food security. I also envision providing healthy foods to more people in
our community.

Other comments: 

Vote!