Sunday, September 15, 2013

Board Candidate: Ally Kroeber


Hot off the press: previews of our 2013 candidates for the Board of Directors! You'll also find the information below in the October-November newsletter, along with your ballot. Voting runs from October 15th - November 15th. In addition to choosing four new Board members, you'll also have an opportunity to vote on four proposed changes to the Co-op's bylaws.

Want to know more about the candidates? Mark your calendar for the Annual Meeting! October 27th, from 1-4 pm at the Olympia Ballroom. Great food, candidate speeches and the first round of member discussion on recent research into whether the Co-op should change our legal status (currently, we are a not-for-profit under RCW 24.03.) We look forward to seeing you there!


* * *

Board Candidate: Ally Kroeber


Why do you want to be on the Co-op Board of Directors? 

I have a young family, I am new to this community and I wanted to teach my son, if you love and support something, you need to be a part of it and give back to it. I believe this is a wonderful way to deepen my relationship with the co-op that my family has grown to love.

What general abilities would you bring to the Board? What specific abilities and experiences would you offer to help provide direction in dealing with the Co-op’s challenges? 

Generally speaking, I believe I can bring the perspective of a young family and new member of the community to the Board. I have many years of experience working with Board of Director(s), in addition to that, I have many years of leadership skills, and problem solving. I believe if we respect the original purpose of the Co-op, that foundation will help lead us in the direction we need to go.

What do you see as current strengths of the Co-op that you would like to see maintained? What would you like to see changed? 

I love the volunteer program, that has allowed my family to give back to the co-op, it's one of the most rewarding things I have done since I have moved her. I would really like to find a way to share the co-op existence with the community. I have spoken with so many young families and people that have no idea about it, or feel that they can't or aren't allowed to join.

What vision do you have for the Co-op for the next five years?

I would love to see the Co-op become the main stream grocery provider for the community. I know my family exclusively shops there and the more people that I introduce to the co-op, eventually start shopping there exclusively too, that turns into supporting local shops and from there it just continues to a full circle of supporting our community. When that happens, it's a beautiful thing!

Other comments

Becoming a member of the Board for the Co-Op would be a wonderful opportunity, I would represent the Co-Op with pride and have the Co-Op's best intention at heart at all times.